Submitted by Westmeath County Council
To stop this waste we need to “re-think” our food habits – here are a few tips to help:
- Make a list of the food you throw out for a week….you’ll be shocked at what you waste.
- Plan ahead – plan your meals – use what you already have in your cupboards, fridge & freezer
- Make a shopping list – and stick to it!
- Beware of special offers – it’s only a bargain if you use it all!
- Make the most of what you bought – store it in the right place
- Know your dates – Best Before is a guideline, Use By is a deadline
- An overloaded plate leads to an overloaded bin – know your portions
- Get creative with leftovers
You can download a poster below showing how to win in the shopping battleground this Christmas, and also a recipe booklet for those Christmas dinner leftovers.