The Church of the Assumption, Delvin is a magnificent building constructed on high ground overlooking the main village.The church was designed by G C Ashlin who also designed Cobh Cathederal, but the design
itself was not actually meant for Delvin – it was originally designed for the Parish of Moate near Athlone. Having had his design rejected by the planners in Moate, the architect met the then parish priest of
Delvin by chance on a train at Killucan and an agreement was made there and then that Delvin would benefit from the rejected design.The foundation stone was laid in October 1873 on ground leased to the
church by Lord and Lady Greville, and the church was finally dedicated on the 2nd October 1881. The church was fully renovated in 2007.
Castletown, Delvin, County Westmeath, N91 K383
044 966 4127