In November 2011, Michael Murphy of the Delvin Historical Society, delivered a presentation on some of Delvin’s key historical sites including St Mary’s Church, the Famine Graveyard, the possible monastic settlement at Clonarney plus an overview of Delvin, Clonyn & Ballinlough Castles.
– Clonarney (1:07)
– Souterrain (6:14)
– Motte (8:54)
– Delvin Castle (10:03)
– Clonyn Castle (11:22)
– St Mary’s Church (16:56)
– Workhouse (23:10)
– St Patrick’s Hall (27:13)
– Church of the Assumption (28:26)
– Bracklyn Estate (30:59)
– Ballinlough Castle (35:49)
In recent times, the Castle and its grounds have played host to a number of large scale events including the Irish Country Fair, "Muck It" and of course Body&Soul.
Read more about Ballinlough Castle...
Bracklyn House was built by a branch of the Fetherstonhaugh family in the late 18th century on land acquired from the Pakenham family of Tullynally Castle. The present house occupies the site of a 15th century tower house.
Read more about Bracklyn Estate...
Church Of St Livinius, Killulagh
The Church of St Livinius in Killulagh is a beautiful building in a stunning location on high ground overlooking rolling fields.
Read more about Church Of St Livinius, Killulagh...
Church Of The Assumption
The Church of the Assumption, Delvin is a magnificent building constructed on high ground overlooking the main village.
Read more about Church Of The Assumption...
In 2010, a geophysical survey was carried out on land surrounding the graveyard at Clonarney. Previous research suggested that this land may once have been the site of an early monastic settlement and based on the findings
Read more about Clonarney...
Clonyn Castle was built in 1639 by Richard Nugent, the 15th Baron of Delvin and First Earl of Westmeath, as a replacement for the original Delvin Castle which, although
Read more about Clonyn Castle...
Delvin Castle (in ruins)
The ruins of the original Delvin Castle still stand proudly on the main street, although the castle interior and its grounds are not normally open to the public. The castle is believed to have been constructed circa 1181 by
Read more about Delvin Castle (in ruins)...
Rosmead House & 'Smiling Bess'
The Rosmead Estate is to the north of Delvin on the N52. In its heyday, Rosmead was a magnificent, seven bay, four storey house (including basement). Sadly, the house has been derelict since the 1940’s and its shell is
Read more about Rosmead House & 'Smiling Bess'...
St. Mary's Church (in ruins)
St. Mary's Church on Main Street, Delvin, is a dramatic ruin which has dominated the local landscape since the 14th century. Evidence suggests that the building was not originally used as a church but instead as a defence
Read more about St. Mary's Church (in ruins)...
St. Patrick's Hall
Delvin's main community centre, St Patrick's Hall, was built in 1832 and began life as the original village chapel. A stone marking the date is still clearly visible to the rear of the building. Following completion of its
Read more about St. Patrick's Hall...
Designed by the Poor Law Commissioners' architect George Wilkinson, the building was based on one of his standard designs to accommodate 400 inmates. Its construction cost £5,200 plus £885 for fittings etc.
Read more about Workhouse...