The ruins of the original Delvin Castle still stand proudly on the main street. It is believed that the castle was built c.1181 by Hugh de Lacy, Lord of Meath, for his brother-in-law, Sir Gilbert de
Nugent. The castle originally consisted of a central rectangular block with a five storey circular tower on each corner. Only half of the structure remains today as the north east section (including towers)
was demolished many years ago. A private house and a shop now occupy the northern section of the site. At one point, the castle was used as a gaol and the ground floor is still divided into cells.
Sadly, the upper levels are now only accessible by ladder. Please note that the castle is not accessible to the public.