The ruins of the original Delvin Castle still stand proudly on the main street, although the castle interior and its grounds are not normally open to the public.

The castle is believed to have been constructed circa 1181 by Hugh de Lacy (then Lord of Meath) for his brother-in-law, Gilbert de Nugent.

During its history, the castle was also used as a gaol.

Photos Of Delvin Castle

Delvin Westmeath Ireland
Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy
8°C
real feel: 10°C
wind speed: 0 km/h NNE
wind gusts: 0 km/h
sunrise: 5:15 am
sunset: 9:35 pm