The main part of the castle was built in the early seventeenth century – 1614 is the date on the O Reilly coat of arms over the front door although this be inaccurate by a few decades. The newer wing at Ballinlough was added by Sir Hugh O Reilly in about 1790 and is probably attributable to the Thomas Wogan Browne was also responsible for Malahide Castle.
The ground floor contains a large drawing room and dining room with four first-floor bedrooms approached by a vaulted corridor above. The spacious interiors have what may be the tallest windows in a private house of this period, overlooking the woods and lake.
In recent times, the Castle and its grounds have played host to a number of large scale events including the Irish Country Fair, “Muck It” and of course Body&Soul.
Please note that the castle and its grounds are not generally open to the public.
The History of Ballinlough Castle (Video)
Michael Murphy of the Delvin Historical Society gave a pictorial overview of the history of Ballinlough Castle during a special presentation in March 2011.
Apologies for the quality of the film but you should still get the general idea.