The Annual General Meeting of Delvin Community Alert took place on Tuesday 3rd December. A summary of the key points is given below.
Text Alert System to be Overhauled
- Several complaints were addressed over the lack of relevant texts being sent out to subscribers. It was noted that alerts had not been issued regarding local incidents but were coming through about events in Mullingar and elsewhere.
- Crime Prevention Officer for Westmeath, Sergeant John McWalter, acknowledged that there had been a failing by the gardai in sending out locally relevant texts, and that the responsibility for this was with them and not the local committee.
- With immediate effect, messages will start being sent by the gardai that are relevant to the Delvin Community.
- At local level, a new system is going to be rolled out. Community Alert will soon issue garda texts to paid up subscribers via a computer app. This new system will be in place as soon as possible.
- The annual fee for joining the scheme will be retained at €10 per phone.
- Sergeant John McWalter advised that there is a Westmeath Garda Facebook Page and encouraged people to follow it.
- The page includes listings of stolen property that has been captured and is awaiting reclaim by rightful owners.
- If you have concerns over suspicious behavior in your area, you should contact the gardai direct.
- The Delvin Garda Patrol number is 086 858 3049. If this is not available, please call 044 938 4000 – this is the Mullingar Garda Station number and the control room operates 24/7/365. They will despatch the nearest available Garda unit to assist you.
- In an emergency, dial 999.
- Despite increasing insurance costs, the group is financially sound.
- Anyone who is due to pay their annual subscription to the text service is invited to do so.
- To avoid increasing bank charges, the group will arrange to set-up a credit union account.
Election of Officers
- A vote of thanks was offered to outgoing Chairperson, Mark Kelleghan, and Treasurer, Mary Dowdall – both of whom resigned at the meeting and did not seek reelection.
- Mick Kenny has been elected Chair.
- Bernie Dugdale has been elected Treasurer.