Local Landmarks & History
In November 2011, Michael Murphy of the Delvin Historical Society, delivered a presentation on some of Delvin’s key historical sites including St Mary’s Church, the Famine Graveyard, the possible monastic settlement at Clonarney plus an overview of Delvin, Clonyn & Ballinlough Castles.
- Clonarney (1:07)
- Souterrain (6:14)
- Motte (8:54)
- Delvin Castle (10:03)
- Clonyn Castle (11:22)
- St Mary’s Church (16:56)
- Workhouse (23:10)
- St Patrick’s Hall (27:13)
- Church of the Assumption (28:26)
- Bracklyn Estate (30:59)
- Ballinlough Castle (35:49)
Overview Of Historic Sites
Ballinlough Castle is located just a few minutes north of Delvin on the N52. The Castle and its grounds have played host to a number of large scale events in recent years, including the annual Irish National Country Fair plus several music festivals including The Garden Party, Body & Soul and Milk. Read more...
The Heritage Walk through Bracklyn on Sunday 21st August was the most successful event in which the Delvin Historical Society have been involved in to date.
The sun shone brightly as more than 130 people turned up for the walk around Bracklyn Demesne which was previously home to the Fetherstonhaugh family.
Local historian Michael Murphy led the walk which commenced at the Gate lodge, where Michael informed the group of the architectural importance of the lodge built in 1821 of which only two of similar design exists in Waterford. Read more...
Church Of St Livinius, Killulagh
The Church of St Livinius in Killulagh is a beautiful building in a stunning location on high ground overlooking rolling fields. Read more...
Church Of The Assumption
The Church of the Assumption, Delvin is a magnificent building constructed on high ground overlooking the main village. The church was designed by G C Ashlin who also designed Cobh Cathederal, but the design itself was not actually meant for Delvin - it was orginally designed for the Parish of Moate near Athlone. Having had his design rejected by the planners in Moate, the architect met the then parish priest of Delvin by chance on a train at Killucan and an agreement was made there and then that Delvin would benefit from the rejected design. Read more...
In 2010, a geophysical survey was carried out on land surrounding the graveyard at Clonarney. Previous research suggested that this land may once have been the site of an early monastic settlement and based on the findings of the initial survey, this may well be true. The survey uncovered several features of possible archaeological significance, including curvatures in the land which may have formed part of the boundary wall of an early Christian monastery. Read more...
Clonyn Castle was built in 1639 by Richard Nugent, the 15th Baron of Delvin and First Earl of Westmeath, as a replacement for the original Delvin Castle which, although in ruins, still stands on the main street. In 1649, Oliver Cromwell and his army stormed through the woodlands of Clonyn on a mission to see whether Nugent was serious in his threat to burn down his own castle rather than offer Cromwell his hospitality. The castle was in indeed in flames on Cromwell’s arrival. Read more...
Delvin Castle (in ruins)
The ruins of the original Delvin Castle still stand proudly on the main street, although the castle interior and its grounds are not normally open to the public. The castle is believed to have been constructed circa 1181 by Hugh de Lacy (then Lord of Meath) for his brother-in-law, Gilbert de Nugent. During its history, the castle was also used as a gaol. Read more...
Rosmead House & ‘Smiling Bess’
The Rosmead Estate is to the north of Delvin on the N52. In its heyday, Rosmead was a magnificent, seven bay, four storey house (including basement). Sadly, the house has been derelict since the 1940’s and its shell is barely visible from the main road. The arch way leading in to the estate - “Smiling Bess” – remains a popular point of local interest. Read more...
St. Mary’s Church (in ruins)
St. Mary's Church on Main Street, Delvin, is a dramatic ruin which has dominated the local landscape since the 14th century. Evidence suggests that the building was not originally used as a church but instead as a defence post with the bell tower initially employed as a watch tower. Over the years the building has been changed many times with neo classical and Gothic features clearly visible in its architecture. The church remained in use until the 1970s at which point the roof was removed and the building was left to the elements. Read more...
St. Patrick’s Hall
Delvin's main community centre, St Patrick's Hall, was built in 1832 and began life as the original village chapel. A stone marking the date is still clearly visible to the rear of the building. Following completion of its replacement, the Church of the Assumption, the roof of the old chapel was removed and the building was left to rot for nearly fourty years. In 1918, the chapel was given a new lease of life, being fully renovated and it now serves as the main village hall. Read more...