Church Of The Assumption
Main Street, Delvin, County Westmeath
The Church of the Assumption, Delvin is a magnificent building constructed on high ground overlooking the main village.
The church was designed by G C Ashlin who also designed Cobh Cathederal, but the design itself was not actually meant for Delvin – it was orginally designed for the Parish of Moate near Athlone. Having had his design rejected by the planners in Moate, the architect met the then parish priest of Delvin by chance on a train at Killucan and an agreement was made there and then that Delvin would benefit from the rejected design.
The foundation stone was laid in October 1873 on ground leased to the church by Lord and Lady Greville, and the church was finally dedicated on the 2nd October 1881. The church was fully renovated in 2007.
Prior to the construction of the church, the building now known as St Patrick’s Hall, was the village chapel and a stone marking this fact still remains to the rear of the hall.
Mass Times & Other Information
Photos Of The Church Of The Assumption, Delvin
Shops & Services
- Bartley’s Bar, Drumcree
- Burger Boss
- C & C Windows And Doors
- Camán Inn
- Daybreak (Delvin Services)
- Delvin Tyre Centre
- Gaffney Car Sales & Repairs
- Gaffney’s Bar & Lounge
- HECE Services
- K L Chimney Cleaning Services
- Lenihan’s Family Butchers
- Manna Charity Shop
- McCormack’s Hardware Stores
- Nanny Quinn’s Restaurant & Bar, Killucan
- Royal Canal Financial Control Services
- Slimming World Delvin
- Songs By Rosemary
- Stylemasters – The Downs
- The Beauty Bar
- Undertaker (Carmel Gaffney)
- Website Design
Current Local Offers
- Special Offers On Compost @ McCormack’s Stores!
McCormack's Stores have special offers on Compost and mini chip bark.